Address: , Yarrow , TD7 5LA
Local Authority: Scottish Borders
The present church, built in 1640, replaced the historic ‘St Mary’s of the Lowes’ or ‘The Forest Kirk’, dating from the 12th century, on the hillside above St Mary’s Loch. Sir Walter Scott and James Hogg, ‘The Ettrick Shepherd’, were regular worshippers. With a traditional T-plan, it was considerably adapted and improved over the years. It was gutted by fire in 1922 but restored. Memorial windows by Douglas Strachan. Sundial on corner of building.
Sunday: 10.00 am 1st and 3rd Sundays of the month, for 5th Sunday, see local press
The information about churches in Scotland’s Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. To contact this specific church please complete the Contact this Church form above. The information is not authoritative; please contact Scotland’s Churches Trust to let us know of any errors or omissions.