The history of Williamwood Church stretches back to 26th December 1936 when the Foundation Stone was in position and well and truly laid. Opened in 1937 as a church extension charge, the church is a fine example of mid-1930s church architecture and was designed by James M Honeyman. Built in red brick with a short belltower, the church sits amidst lawns and mature trees. The original, somewhat austere, interior has been enriched with colourful stained glass windows. The WW2 Memorial is the church lectern which was dedicated in 1952. Williamwood houses the first digital Organ by the Allen Organ company in Scotland – model no. MOS-600. It was built in 1971, and installed in 1972. The organ celebrates its 40th anniversary in 2011. At the time it cost £5910, which in today’s money would be around £67,500. A substantial sum! There is much more information available On the church website about the organ and some background to its installation, its design and how Williamwood inaugurated it for use in the Parish. We are open weenks, please come along to visit us and enjoy some quiet in this busy world. The Iona Chapel is also open if you wish privacy and peace. Williamwood Church celebrates its 75th Anniversary in 2012.
Every Sunday: 11.00am
2nd Sunday: 3.00pm Informal Communion
Open February to June and September to December, weekdays, 9.45am-12.00 noon
Contact Williamwood Parish Church Clarkston Glasgow.
The information about churches in Scotland’s Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. To contact this specific church please complete the Contact this Church form above. The information is not authoritative; please contact Scotland’s Churches Trust to let us know of any errors or omissions.