The present building was erected in 1874 by John Lessels, to replace a much earlier church of 1643. Bell of 1773 still in use. Major restoration in 2002. Two high circular windows in the north and south transepts and some interesting stained glass. Oak for the panelling in the porch is from a tree planted at Abbotsford by Sir Walter Scott. First and Second World War Memorials. The churchyard dates back to the first church and contains table-stone graves of the 18th century and several other stones of interest, including a Covenanter’s grave and one, near the gate, to the many men who died in the construction of the Talla reservoir.
Contact Tweedsmuir Kirk.
The information about churches in Scotland’s Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. To contact this specific church please complete the Contact this Church form above. The information is not authoritative; please contact Scotland’s Churches Trust to let us know of any errors or omissions.