There has been a church at Traquair since the early 12th century. The present simple, elegant country church is dated 1778 and has a traditional plan with a central pulpit. Comprehensive restoration completed 2001. A monument on the outside wall commemorates Alexander Brodie (d. 1811), Iron Master ‘a native of Traquaire (sic), First Inventor of the Register Stoves and Fire Hearths for Ships’. Many notable gravestones, the earliest from the late 17th century.
Sundays: 10.00am, 2nd and 4th Sundays of the month; as announced for 5th Sunday
Open by arrangement
The information about churches in Scotland’s Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. To contact this specific church please complete the Contact this Church form above. The information is not authoritative; please contact Scotland’s Churches Trust to let us know of any errors or omissions.