Traquair House Chapel

Traquair House Chapel

Denomination: Roman Catholic
Address: Traquair House, Traquair, EH44 6PW
Local Authority: Scottish Borders
Listing: A
WEBSITE

 

Church Overview

Dating back to 1107, Traquair House held a ‘secret chapel’ used in penal times until 1829. The chapel was created post-1929 in the west wing, built in 1695-9, James Smith (Overseer of the Royal Works of Scotland). The chapel, formerly the billiard room above the brewhouse, contains an Italian marble altar (1870, Genoa) with a panel depicting the Passion (Brumidi, sculptor), twelve 16th century carved timber wall panels (originally in Chapel of Mary of Guise, Leith and carved in Flemish style by Scottish craftsmen). Related memorabilia on view in house, which also contains a priest’s hole and secret stairway.

Services

Mass 7.00pm, last Thursday April to October

Opening Arrangements

Open April to October 11.00 – 5.00pm. Access to Chapel is included in admission to grounds.

Guide book available Access for partially abled   Welcomers and guides on duty by arrangement.  Disabled WC refreshments

Image Gallery

Click image to open gallery.

Traquair House Chapel

Contact Traquair House Chapel.

8 + 14 =

Disclaimer

The information about churches in Scotland’s Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. To contact this specific church please complete the Contact this Church form above. The information is not authoritative; please contact Scotland’s Churches Trust to let us know of any errors or omissions.