A church was founded in Torthorwald in the mid 13th century by Trinitarian or Red Friars from Fail Monastery near Tarbolton, Ayrshire. A white T-plan kirk built in 1872 to replace an earlier church on an adjacent site; stones dated 1450 and 1644 are set into the walls of the vestry. Pipe organ 1904. The entrance gates are a memorial to Dr John G Paton, a pioneer missionary to the islands of the South Pacific.
Sundays: 9.45am or 11.25am
Open by arrangement
Contact Torthorwald Church.
The information about churches in Scotland’s Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. To contact this specific church please complete the Contact this Church form above. The information is not authoritative; please contact Scotland’s Churches Trust to let us know of any errors or omissions.