The distinctiveness of Heylipol Church, also known as Eaglais na Mointeach, ‘the Church of the Moss’, is enhanced by its location at a crossroads in a stretch of open country. Built 1902 by architect William MacKenzie of Oban, in cruciform form with a battlemented bell-tower over the porch. The style is simplified Gothic and the church is built of local dark stone with paler stone margins to the doors, windows and corners. The interior is lofty with an open timber roof, the dark rafters contrasting with the pale ceiling.
Sunday: 11.30 pm; Occasionally 6.00 pm
The information about churches in Scotland’s Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. To contact this specific church please complete the Contact this Church form above. The information is not authoritative; please contact Scotland’s Churches Trust to let us know of any errors or omissions.