Influential centre of Christian witness in Scottish Borders since 7th century. Successor to nearby St Aebbe’s Monastery, attached to Durham Cathedral for 300 years. Present church formed from the choir and sanctuary area which comprised the eastern arm of the early 13th-century cruciform-plan Priory Church of St Mary. Splendid free-standing restored arch of original church to the west of the main building. South and west walls rebuilt 1662 and extensive renovation in 1850s. Interior renovation 1950 providing present chancel and its furnishings. Nine modern stained glass windows. Detailed scale model of the Priory on exhibition. In 2012 a major refurbishment took place to install disabled access and toilet facilities creating an additional small room at the rear. with the aim of making the building more usable to groups who may want to visit and use the facilities.The organ is undergoing a major refurbishment.
Sunday: 9.45 am
Open Wednesdays May to September 2.00-4.00 pm, and Sundays, July and August 2.00-4.00pm or by arrangement
Contact The Priory Church.
The information about churches in Scotland’s Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. To contact this specific church please complete the Contact this Church form above. The information is not authoritative; please contact Scotland’s Churches Trust to let us know of any errors or omissions.