A simple but well-proportioned Gothic style church of 1913-16 by J P Alison (1862-1932), who was Hawick’s most prominent architect. The building incorporates fabric of the 1843 church and has contemporary halls adjoining to the north.
Inside, a wide nave is flanked by side aisles. The chancel has a raised floor of Iona marble. The communion table and chairs, lectern, organ case, pulpit and pews are of Borneo cedar. All the stained glass (except the west window) is by Lilian J Pocock of London, and dates from 1929 to 1946.
Sundays 9.30 or 11.00 am alternating with St Mary’s & Old.
Open by arrangement
The information about churches in Scotland’s Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. To contact this specific church please complete the Contact this Church form above. The information is not authoritative; please contact Scotland’s Churches Trust to let us know of any errors or omissions.