Tarbert Parish Church
Denomination: Church of Scotland
OS Reference: NR863685
Address: Campbeltown Road , Tarbert , PA29 6TU
Local Authority: Argyll & Bute
Built in 1886 on the site of an earlier mission church dating from 1775 and granted quoad sacra status in 1864. Architects J McKissack and W G Rowan of Glasgow. The building features an imposing square tower rising over 100ft, surmounted by a crown and lantern. Stained glass windows and unusual roof decoration. Eighteenth-century graveyard within walking distance.
The church was repaired and refurbished 2012-14. The work included reslating the enormous roof and installing a heat pump which takes warmth from the surrounding air to make the church warm and comfortable inside.
Open April to September, 10.00am-5.30pm
Contact this church.
The information about churches in Scotland’s Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. To contact this specific church please complete the Contact this Church form above. The information is not authoritative; please contact Scotland’s Churches Trust to let us know of any errors or omissions.