The Norman church in Symington is amongst the oldest in Scotland and is certainly one of the most beautiful. Though small in size, its stones breathe the atmosphere of prayer and praise of all the saints over 800 years. The church was founded in 1160AD by Symon Loccard; the village and parish derive its name, ‘Symonstown’, from him. The original church now forms the nave of the present church; the present appearance is due to additions and alterations in 1797 and to the restoration of 1919 by P MacGregor Chalmers. Norman arched windows, piscina and ancient oak-beamed ceiling. The stained glass, much of it by Douglas Strachan, is glorious in creation and colour.
Sunday: 9.30 am
Open by arrangement
The information about churches in Scotland’s Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. To contact this specific church please complete the Contact this Church form above. The information is not authoritative; please contact Scotland’s Churches Trust to let us know of any errors or omissions.