Swinton Kirk has been greatly altered, but the south and east walls are 1,000 years old and the aumbry can still be seen. The last renovation (1910) was by Robert Lorimer. The 1499 bell was rung as a death knell after Flodden (1513). Behind the communion table is an effigy of Alan Swinton (1200), while the oldest stone coat-of-arms in Britain (the Swinton’s) is above the gallery door. The windows are made of squares of ancient glass.
11.15 am on the 1st and 5th Sundays of the month
Open during daylight hours
The information about churches in Scotland’s Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. To contact this specific church please complete the Contact this Church form above. The information is not authoritative; please contact Scotland’s Churches Trust to let us know of any errors or omissions.