St Machan was a disciple of St Cadoc and this church was consecrated in 1244 by Bishop David de Bernham. Some of the medieval masonry, including the Norman south doorway, survived the rebuilding by Bishop Elphinstone in the early 16th century and alterations in 1710, 1822 and 1908. The chancel and porch were added to the oblong church in 1908 by John Honeyman. The vestry has an early 18th-century chimney piece with blue-and-white tiles depicting Biblical scenes. Stained glass by A Ballantine & Son and William Wilson including circular window in memory of surgeon Robert Liston, son of the manse. His father, Rev Henry Liston invented the eucharmonic organ.
Open by arrangement
The information about churches in Scotland’s Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. To contact this specific church please complete the Contact this Church form above. The information is not authoritative; please contact Scotland’s Churches Trust to let us know of any errors or omissions.