Red sandstone church on a smooth green mound. Dedicated to St Vigean (or Fechin), Irish saint, who died 664. Church rebuilt in 12th century, but not dedicated until 1242. Some 15th-century alterations then a major restoration in 19th century by Robert Rowand Anderson. Largely unaltered since. Lovely stained glass windows. Organ by Harrison 1875. Nearby St Vigeans Museum has collection of spectacular Pictish stones.
Open by arrangement
The information about churches in Scotland’s Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. To contact this specific church please complete the Contact this Church form above. The information is not authoritative; please contact Scotland’s Churches Trust to let us know of any errors or omissions.