St Thomas's, Keith
Denomination: Roman Catholic
OS Reference: NJ430502
Address: Chapel Street, Keith, AB55 5AL
Local Authority: Moray
Built 1831, architect William Robertson of Elgin. Successor to 1785 Chapel and cottage at Kempcairn, following planning and fundraising by Father Lovi. Prominently sited neo-classical cruciform church with Roman Doric pilasters. Interior with nave and sanctuary. Enlarged with copper-clad dome, altar, communion rails, pulpit and oak pews by C J Menart, Glasgow, 1916. Altar piece painting ‘The Incredulity of St Thomas’, commissioned by Charles X of France 1828. Fine stained glass windows 1970s. St John Ogilvie Chapel commemorating saint born nearby. Extensive restoration 1996.
Open daily, dawn to dusk
Contact St Thomas's, Keith.
The information about churches in Scotland’s Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. To contact this specific church please complete the Contact this Church form above. The information is not authoritative; please contact Scotland’s Churches Trust to let us know of any errors or omissions.