Simple rectangular hall church, built 1822 incorporating masonry from the medieval Whithorn Priory. The square tower was added in the mid-19th century. Porch added by Peter MacGregor Chalmers in 1914. Communion table and carved oak pulpit in a revived 17th Century style are by Chalmers, 1915. Stained glass east windows gifted by the daughter of Gemmell Hutchison RSA in memory of her father. The windows flanking the pulpit are by Alexander Kerr and depict St Ninian and The Good Shepherd. Located on the site of Whithorn ‘dig’ in the former precincts of Whithorn Priory. First Scottish Christian community founded here by St Ninian, pre-dates Iona.
St Ninian’s Priory Church is a Destination Hub on the St Ninian Pilgrim Journey.
Sunday 10.00am and 7.00pm
Open Easter to end of October, 10.00am-5.00pm
The information about churches in Scotland’s Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. To contact this specific church please complete the Contact this Church form above. The information is not authoritative; please contact Scotland’s Churches Trust to let us know of any errors or omissions.