Occupying a striking position close to the sea, the church has origins going back to 875 AD when the relics of St Monan were buried in a shrine on this spot. The present church was built at the behest of King David II by Sir William Dishington in 1370. Only the chancel, crossing and two transepts exist; the nave was probably never built. Architect William Burn made alterations in 1828 and architect Ian G Lindsay gave the church its present white-painted interior in 1961. The interior features a fourteenth-century sedilia, piscina and aumbry, medieval consecration crosses and heraldic bosses. Votive models of ships, including an early nineteenth-century ship of the line, hang from the ceiling, a reminder of the close links between this village and the sea.
Open April to October during daylight hours
Contact St Monans Parish Church.
The information about churches in Scotland’s Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. To contact this specific church please complete the Contact this Church form above. The information is not authoritative; please contact Scotland’s Churches Trust to let us know of any errors or omissions.