Known locally as ‘The Red Kirk’ because the local Machrie sandstone of its construction is of a warm, red hue, this church was built in 1889 to a design by J J Burnet. The tower contains a single bell. Set into the west wall of the tower is a carved stone graveslab, possibly of a 13th-century abbot taken from Clauchen graveyard. The north gable has a double window in Norman style with Celtic motifs. A small wooden carving of St Molios, who lived as a hermit on Holy Island, is set into a bench end on the south side of the sanctuary.
The information about churches in Scotland’s Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. To contact this specific church please complete the Contact this Church form above. The information is not authoritative; please contact Scotland’s Churches Trust to let us know of any errors or omissions.