One of the finest examples of a large medieval burgh church. Consecrated in 1242 on the site of an earlier church, most of the present building dates from the 15th century with some 19th- and 20th-century restoration. Situated beside Linlithgow Palace, its history is intertwined with that of the royal House of Stewart. In 1542 Mary Queen of Scots who was born in Linlithgow Palace and baptised in St Michael’s Church. In 1646, Oliver Cromwell stabled horses in the nave and billeted soldiers in the triforium.
The historic crown steeple was taken down in 1821; the modern aluminium crown was erected in 1964 and symbolises the Church’s continuing witness to Christ’s kingship. Window commemorating 750th anniversary of the church 1992 by Crear McCartney. Carving of Queen Elizabeth II by John Donaldson added to Queen’s Pulpit in 2003. New organ installed by Matthew Copley 2001 from Queen Ethelburga’s College, Harrogate.
Sunday 9.30am and 11.00am
Open all year, May to September 10.00am-4.00pm; October to April 10.00am-1.00pm
The information about churches in Scotland’s Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. To contact this specific church please complete the Contact this Church form above. The information is not authoritative; please contact Scotland’s Churches Trust to let us know of any errors or omissions.