St Michael’s, Ardkenneth, replaced a much earlier church, the ruins of which can be found on an outcrop into Loch Cille Bhannain. This earlier church, which was the parish church for the north of South Uist and for the Island of Benbecula, was abandoned in 1827 when the Gearraidhfliuch area was ‘cleared’ of its people by Clanranald Estate. The present church was built in 1829 by Rev James MacGregor. It has a harled exterior and, uniquely, still has the chapel house as part of the church building. The design is simple and rectangular. Also listed are the pillars in the church grounds. The interior has been remodelled in the latter part of the 20th century but the arched windows are offset maximising the natural light. Outside the church is the original sandstone model carved by Hew Lorimer for the statue of Our Lady of the Isles at West Gerinish.
Sunday Mass 11.30am
Open at all times
The information about churches in Scotland’s Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. To contact this specific church please complete the Contact this Church form above. The information is not authoritative; please contact Scotland’s Churches Trust to let us know of any errors or omissions.