Written records go back to 1190 since when three churches have stood on the site. The pillars of the 1500 church were used in the present building (1741-6), raided by Bonnie Prince Charlie in 1745. Robert Burns worshipped here until his untimely death; his wife Jean Armour continued to worship for a further 38 years. His mausoleum is in the listed graveyard. The church is built with local red sandstone. This beautiful church has a fine collection of stained glass, some dating back to 1800. The Archangel St Michael overlooks the congregation from the front of the Willis organ, one of only a few still in use. A wonderful church full of history and a warm welcome awaits visitors.
Sunday 11.00 am
10.30 am – 3.30 pm Mon – Fri. (Mid Apr – Mid Sept). Other times by arrangement (01387 255007)
To contact St Michaels and South Parish Church, Dumfries.
call 01387 253 849
The information about churches in Scotland’s Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. To contact this specific church please complete the Contact this Church form above. The information is not authoritative; please contact Scotland’s Churches Trust to let us know of any errors or omissions.