St Mary's Parish Kirk, Ladykirk

St Mary's Parish Kirk, Ladykirk

Denomination: Church of Scotland
OS Reference: NT889477
Address: , Ladykirk , TD15 1XL
Local Authority: Scottish Borders
Listing: A

 

Church Overview

The church, originally called Our Lady Kirk of Steill, was built by James IV in 1500, apparently in gratitude for being saved from drowning in the River Tweed. The church sits on the north bank of the River Tweed, close to a fording point and just across the river on the English side sits the village of Norham and the ancient stronghold of Norham Castle. The church has an unusual all-stone construction (walls and roof) to withstand ‘fire and flood’. The Scottish and English Wardens of the East March met regularly in the parish; the last peace treaty between Scotland and England was signed in Ladykirk in 1560. Many stained glass windows; the wooden pews and pipe organ were installed in the 19th century.

Services

11.15 am on the 2nd and 4th Sundays of the month

Opening Arrangements

Open during daylight hours

Guide book available Access for partially abled       inventory

Image Gallery

Click image to open gallery.

St Mary's Parish Kirk, Ladykirk

St Mary's Parish Kirk, Ladykirk

St Mary's Parish Kirk, Ladykirk

7 + 10 =

Disclaimer

The information about churches in Scotland’s Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. To contact this specific church please complete the Contact this Church form above. The information is not authoritative; please contact Scotland’s Churches Trust to let us know of any errors or omissions.