St Mary's Parish Church, Whitekirk
Denomination: Church of Scotland
Address: , Whitekirk , EH42 1XS
Local Authority: East Lothian
Dating from 12th century, the original building was reconstructed during the 15th century starting with the vaulted stone choir, built in 1439 by Adam Hepburn of Hailes. In medieval times Whitekirk was an important place of pilgrimage. The church was set on fire in 1914, supposedly by suffragettes. Restored by Robert Lorimer. Wagon roof over nave and transepts, communion table, pulpit, lectern and font all by Lorimer. Stained glass by C E Kempe 1889 and Karl Parsons 1916. Tithe barn and historic graveyard.
Contact St Mary's.
The information about churches in Scotland’s Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. To contact this specific church please complete the Contact this Church form above. The information is not authoritative; please contact Scotland’s Churches Trust to let us know of any errors or omissions.