St Mary's Metropolitan Cathedral, Edinburgh

St Mary's Metropolitan Cathedral, Edinburgh

Denomination: Roman Catholic
Address: Broughton Street, Edinburgh, EH1 3JR
Local Authority: Edinburgh
Listing: A
WEBSITE

 

Church Overview

St Mary’s Cathedral occupies the site of the much smaller Chapel of St Mary’s, 1814. The church was made a pro-Cathedral at the restoration of the Scottish Hierarchy in 1878, when ‘Edinburgh’ was added to the ancient title of the see of St Andrews that had been vacant for 307 years. In 1886, at the request of Archbishop William Smith, the church was raised to the status of a Metropolitan Cathedral for the new Archdiocese of St Andrews and Edinburgh, with all the rights and privileges thereof. All that remains of St Mary’s Chapel, designed by James Gillespie Graham, is the neo-Gothic façade. After a fire in 1892, the nave arcade was rebuilt by John Biggar. The chancel, designed by Buchanan & Bennett, was added in 1895. The nave was widened and heightened by Reid & Forbes in 1932. The baldacchino in the chancel is by Reginal Fairlie, 1928; the marble altar by Robert Rowand Anderson is from the former Catholic Apostolic Church, brought here after Vatican II, as was the brass lectern. Painting of the Annunciation on the west wall by Louis Bayert, 1932; Stations of the Cross in the south aisle by Mayer of Munich; Lady Chapel altar by Robert Lorimer. A new Organ with 3,324 pipes and a moveable second console was installed by Matthew Copley in 2007. The Cathedral hall complex was added in 2005 and provides a café and meeting space.

Services

Saturday: Vigil Mass 6.00pm, Sunday 9.30am, 11.30am and 7.30pm; Weekdays 10.00am and 12.45pm.

Opening Arrangements

Open daily 8.00am-6.00pm

Access for partially abled  Induction loop for the deaf  toilets available  refreshments (cafe Camino 09.00-20.00

Image Gallery

Click image to open gallery.

St Mary's Metropolitan Cathedral, Edinburgh

Disclaimer

The information about churches in Scotland’s Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. To contact this specific church please complete the Contact this Church form above. The information is not authoritative; please contact Scotland’s Churches Trust to let us know of any errors or omissions.