Located near to the machair, the church was built in 1837 by Rev John Chisholm and was the original Roman Catholic parish church for the south end of South Uist and the island of Eriskay. It has a white harled exterior and is rectangular in shape with a semi-circular apse at the east end. Originally, the chapel house was part of the same building but the church and house was remodelled in 1955 by A R Colon, a pupil of Reginald Fairlie, Edinburgh. An apsidal porch, a Lady Chapel, and sacristy were added, and the interior of the church extended. The original plaster was removed revealing the ‘finest local stonemason work’ Fairlie had ever seen. Modern icons of St Edith Stein and St Mary MacKillop by Michael Gilfedder adorn the Lady Chapel.
Sunday Mass 9.30am (Served from Ardkenneth)
Open at all times
The information about churches in Scotland’s Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. To contact this specific church please complete the Contact this Church form above. The information is not authoritative; please contact Scotland’s Churches Trust to let us know of any errors or omissions.