St Mary and St Finnan, Glenfinnan
Address: , Glenfinnan , PH37 4LT
Local Authority: Highland
The church was consecrated in 1873. Designed by E Welby Pugin in the Gothic style, the church enjoys an elevated and commanding position overlooking Loch Shiel with a spectacular view of the loch and surrounding hills. The church is a memorial chapel to the MacDonalds of Glenaladale, the family with whom Bonnie Prince Charlie stayed prior to the raising of the Jacobite standard at Glenfinnan in August 1745. The church contains a memorial to the Prince and headstones of members of the MacDonald family. Near the altar is the burial place of Father Donald MacDonald, the first parish priest, also one of the family who built the church.
Sunday Mass: 1.00pm
Open daily sunrise to sunset
The information about churches in Scotland’s Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. To contact this specific church please complete the Contact this Church form above. The information is not authoritative; please contact Scotland’s Churches Trust to let us know of any errors or omissions.