St Mark's, Portobello

St Mark's, Portobello

Denomination: Scottish Episcopal
Address: 287 Portobello High Street, Edinburgh, EH15 2AR
Local Authority: Edinburgh
Listing: B
WEBSITE

Church Overview

One of the first Episcopal churches to be built in the Edinburgh area, St Mark’s is a villa-like neo-Classical church, square in plan, of 1824, most notable for its dome and semi-circular Doric porch. The Venetian windows and chancel were added by Hay & Henderson in 1892. Stained glass by Ballantine & Sons of the ‘Good Samaritan’ and ‘The soul of Jonathan knit with the soul of David’. Organ, 1828 by D & T Hamilton, relocated by Ingram 1899. The church is approximately 4 miles from the city centre. Nearest railway station – Edinburgh Waverley. Buses – LRT No’s 26 & 15or First Bus No’s 66 & 129 from the city centre

Services

Sunday 10.30 am Eucharist and Thursday 10.00 am Eucharist

Opening Arrangements

By appointment. Often open during the week and for activities at weekend. Contact the Rector: sophia.marriage@stmarksportobello.org

Image Gallery

Click image to open gallery.

St Mark's, Portobello

Contact St Mark's.

3 + 13 =

Disclaimer

The information about churches in Scotland’s Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. To contact this specific church please complete the Contact this Church form above. The information is not authoritative; please contact Scotland’s Churches Trust to let us know of any errors or omissions.