Parish founded in 1836, this neo-classical church by Wilkie & Gray, 1839, has a square tower and spire rising above the pedimented front. The simple exterior belies the magnificent interior with its classical reredos with an elaborate cornice behind the main altar flanked by two side altars in marble. Before it was built, adherents had to travel to Glasgow for services, many on foot.
Saturday Vigil 5.00pm; Sunday 10.00am, 12.00 noon
Open during summer 9.00am-6.00pm, winter 9.00am-4.00pm
The information about churches in Scotland’s Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. To contact this specific church please complete the Contact this Church form above. The information is not authoritative; please contact Scotland’s Churches Trust to let us know of any errors or omissions.