Significant as the first Oxford Movement church building in Scotland, built in 1844. The designer was John Hayward of Exeter but it is thought that William Butterfield was responsible for much of the ecclesiologically correct interior. Rood screen of carved oak; the figures added later. Altar, sedilia, pulpit and font in Caen stone, a gift of Queen Adelaide. Original Minton tiles on the floors and chancel walls, with designs after A W N Pugin. The recent removal of the 1937 reredos revealed exquisite altar tiles. Traditionally painted modern icons. Lychgate by Butterfield. Churchyard graves are over a century old.
St John’s Church is a Destination Hub on the St Cuthbert Pilgrim Journey.
Sunday: 9.00am Holy Communion, 10.30 am (summer) or 11.00am (winter) Sung Eucharist, other services are advertised on the website
Open 9am – dusk (summer, 9am-5pm winter)
Contact St John the Evangelist.
The information about churches in Scotland’s Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. To contact this specific church please complete the Contact this Church form above. The information is not authoritative; please contact Scotland’s Churches Trust to let us know of any errors or omissions.