St John the Evangelist, Greenock

St John the Evangelist, Greenock

Denomination: Scottish Episcopal
Address: Union Street, Greenock, PA16 8JJ
Local Authority: Inverclyde
Listing: B
WEBSITE

Church Overview

The present building was consecrated in 1878, designed by Paley and Austin of Lancaster – their only Scottish church. Nave-and-aisles church with strong square tower with pyramidal slated roof. The intricately carved rood screen, based on a medieval screen in Gloucestershire and designed by H O Tarbolton, was given by the family of Sir John Kerr, one-time Governor of Bengal. The font is a copy of a 15th-century font in Suffolk. Organ by J & A Mirrlees of Glasgow.

Services

Sunday Service is at 11am  and the midweek service is on each  Wednesday at 11.30

Opening Arrangements

Open 10am to 12 noon on days when cruise ships call and on Inverclyde Doors Open Day. Otherwise by arrangement

Access for partially abled Disabled WC Induction loop for the deaf Welcomers and guides on duty by arrangement.

Image Gallery

Click image to open gallery.

St John the Evangelist, Greenock

Contact St John the Evangelist.

9 + 3 =

Disclaimer

The information about churches in Scotland’s Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. To contact this specific church please complete the Contact this Church form above. The information is not authoritative; please contact Scotland’s Churches Trust to let us know of any errors or omissions.