St James's, Innerleithen
Denomination: Roman Catholic
Address: High Street, Innerleithen, EH44 6HD
Local Authority: Scottish Borders
Opened in 1881 as a monument to Charles, 7th Earl of Traquair and his sister Lady Louisa Stuart. Designed by John Biggar in English Decorated style. A substantial church in dark stone with cream margins and buttresses. Tall tower and stone spire at the corner. The church has some interesting works of art including a large icon of Our Lady of Czestochowa, Poland. This is by K Kryska 1944, the captain of Polish Forces based in Peebleshire. Other monuments include ones dating from 1861 and a copy of the bust of John Ogilvie. The sanctuary has been brought back into use, and a narthex has been built inside the church to provide toilet and kitchen facilities. A rood screen division within the church provides a gathering and social space towards the rear of the nave.
Open summer 10.00am-4.00pm (hours may vary) or by arrangement
Contact St James's.
The information about churches in Scotland’s Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. To contact this specific church please complete the Contact this Church form above. The information is not authoritative; please contact Scotland’s Churches Trust to let us know of any errors or omissions.