St James’ Church was built as a chapel of ease in 1885 to designs by John Murdoch. Murdoch, an engineer before he became an architect, was the most ambitious of the architects of Ayr in the late 19th century and received many important commissions. There is a rose window above the pulpit.
Open by arrangement
The information about churches in Scotland’s Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. To contact this specific church please complete the Contact this Church form above. The information is not authoritative; please contact Scotland’s Churches Trust to let us know of any errors or omissions.