St Giles’ is an elegant and imposing building which dominates the centre of Elgin. Designed by Archibald Simpson of Aberdeen, it was constructed between 1825 and 1828 using stone from the nearby Quarrywood to replace the old St Giles’ church which had stood on the same site. The church is in Greek Revival style with a Doric six-columned portico at the west end and a tower rising 112ft at the east end. The upper section of the tower is a copy of the Choragic Monument of Lysicrates in Athens. The interior has a panelled gallery to three sides with a Greek key-patterned parapet. The circular panelled pulpit stands on a Doric column and has a domed sounding board supported by Corinthian columns. The organ has been modified and enlarged over the years, making it one of the finest in the north of Scotland. In 2007 the old pews were removed and replaced with comfortable seats which allows flexible use of the church.
Sundays: 10.30am in odd-numbered months (Jan, Mar, May, Jul, Sep & Nov).
Open by arrangement
(after services and on Thursdays 10:30am – 1pm)
Contact St Giles' Parish Church, Elgin.
The information about churches in Scotland’s Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. To contact this specific church please complete the Contact this Church form above. The information is not authoritative; please contact Scotland’s Churches Trust to let us know of any errors or omissions.