St Fillan’s is an excellent example of a tin tablernacle. Tin tablernacles were innovative Victorian churches constructed from standardised corrugated iron sheets on a wooden frame. The manufacturer might have been The London Iron Church & Chapel Co. This tin tab was built in 1876 by the 7th Marquis of Breadalbane as a place for his shooting parties to worship, and known locally as the Grouse Chapel. Originally it consisted of three bays and the west porch. It was extended in 1885 with the addition of the crossing and the chancel bay. The building was further extended in in 1969 when a meeting room was added at the east end. The church has an extensive timber interior. The carved and painted altar was made by George Watson of Edinburgh. The stained glass window above the altar depicts the Annunciation. The altar rail came from the demolished chapel at Taymouth.
1st and 3rd Sundays, 10am
2nd & 4th Sundays – no service at Killin: joint 5.30 pm service at St Angus, Lochearnhead
Open by arrangement.
The information about churches in Scotland’s Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. To contact this specific church please complete the Contact this Church form above. The information is not authoritative; please contact Scotland’s Churches Trust to let us know of any errors or omissions.