This attractive church was built 1905-6 by the congregation of St Giles. An architectural competition for its design was won by Peter MacGregor Chalmers of Glasgow. It is a cruciform church with a nave and south aisle in Norman/early Gothic style. Romanesque ornamentation on porch. Steeply pitched Cumbrian green slate roof, unusual for this area. The bull-faced sandstone was quarried at Hopeman.
The fine hexagonal wooden pulpit dates from 1684 and previously graced the old church of St Giles. The pulpit has fluted pilasters and a richly carved sounding board. Oak Ministers’ seats, stalls, and holy table all carved in similar classical style to the pulpit. Stained glass by M C Webster and Douglas Strachan. Organ from St Paul’s Church, Perth, installed August 1990.
Sunday service 10.30 am on Even-numbered months (Feb, Apr, Jun, Aug, Oct and Dec).
Open by arrangement
Contact St Columba's South.
The information about churches in Scotland’s Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. To contact this specific church please complete the Contact this Church form above. The information is not authoritative; please contact Scotland’s Churches Trust to let us know of any errors or omissions.