This small rectangular church was built as a memorial to Robert Thom by his son Allan G Thom between the years 1912 and 1914 and was designed by P MacGregor Chalmers; it lies above the track leading to the pier and overlooks Canna Harbour. The church is oriented from ENE to WSW and is built of random rubble with pinnings; its roof is of stone, rendered externally, but visible internally as a pointed tunnel-vault. It is entered by a door at the SW end of the S wall, and has narrow pointed leaded windows, three in each side and two in either gable end. A round tower lies central to the W gable end, and is vented by similar pointed openings with slate louvres. Commonly known as the Rhu Church.
The information about churches in Scotland’s Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. To contact this specific church please complete the Contact this Church form above. The information is not authoritative; please contact Scotland’s Churches Trust to let us know of any errors or omissions.