St Catharine's, Blairgowrie
Denomination: Scottish Episcopal
Address: George Street, Blairgowrie, PH10 6HA
Local Authority: Perth & Kinross
Built in 1842 by the incumbent, Rev John Marshall, and designed by his 14-year-old stepson, John Henderson. This was the first church in the diocese to be built in a pre-Reformation style; the church has a nave and a chancel. It is built of the local red sandstone with a slate roof. The west end has five lancet windows. The east window is possibly by John Warrington (1796-1869). On the west wall, panelling of the 15th or 16th century, probably Italian, depicting the Ascension. It was placed here in 1894. There is a copy of a large painting by Mattia Preti, the Escape of St Peter; the original was sold in 1989. For wheelchair access, call in advance for ramp to be put in place.
Sunday: 9.30 am Eucharist, except 5th Sunday of the month (see church magazine for details of venue); Wednesdays 11.30 am Eucharist; daily prayer 9.00 am.
Open all day, every day; except after the service on Sunday.
The information about churches in Scotland’s Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. To contact this specific church please complete the Contact this Church form above. The information is not authoritative; please contact Scotland’s Churches Trust to let us know of any errors or omissions.