St Brides Parish Church
Denomination: Church of Scotland
Address: Church Road, Sanquhar, DG4 6BF
Local Authority: Dumfries and Galloway
St Bride’s Parish Church was built on the site of an earlier church in 1823 and its large graveyard is located along Church Road and serves as Sanquhar’s Parish Church. Built by James Thomson, the church is in Georgian Gothic Style. There’s a chancel on the east side of the nave and a tower with four pinnacles on the west. The nave has four buttresses on both the north and south side with spiky pinnacles on each one. The bays feature gothic windows with Y-tracery and moulding. J. Jeffrey Waddel added the rectangular chancel along with the vestry on the south, the organ chamber and short transept on the north in 1930. The interior is plain stone and has an open wooden roof, with a gallery, on the west of the nave. J. West Wilson provided the chancels oak panelling as well as the pews, font, lectern, pulpit and communion table. Organ pipes are visible on either side of the chancel. Most of the stained glass can be attributed to J. T and C. East Stewart, 1930.
Alternates with Kirkconnel 10:30am or 11:30am
Contact St Brides Parish Church.
The information about churches in Scotland’s Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. To contact this specific church please complete the Contact this Church form above. The information is not authoritative; please contact Scotland’s Churches Trust to let us know of any errors or omissions.