St Brendan's Church, Skipness
Denomination: Church of Scotland
Address: Skipness, PA29 6XT
Local Authority: Argyll & Bute
St Brendan’s sits alongside the road close to the bridge over Skipness River. The church was designed by Bertram Vaughan Johnson ib 1896-7. It is a small country church with walls of local grey stone with red sandstone margins. The east gable is ornamented with a small Celtic cross. The lancet windows have leaded lights.
The interior is simple with a open timber roof. One stained glass window with Celtic interlacing designed by R C Graham of Skipness and made by Powell & Co, 1897.
Close by are the roofless Kilbrannan Chapel (14th century) and Skipness Castle (13th, 14th and 16th centuries, now maintained by Historic Scotland). Magnificent views across the Firth of Clyde to Arran.
The information about churches in Scotland’s Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. To contact this specific church please complete the Contact this Church form above. The information is not authoritative; please contact Scotland’s Churches Trust to let us know of any errors or omissions.