There are few places in Scotland where there is a stronger sense of a link with Christian worship of nearly a millennium ago. The 12th century chancel and apse has elaborate decoration of two tiers of blind round-headed arcading and carved wallhead corbels and is of outstanding architectural interest. Original masons’ marks and carving can be found. The distinctive octagonal belltower was added in the 18th century and the nave was altered in 1858 by John Milne.
The lively architecture of the exterior contrasts with the peaceful interior. The Norman chancel and apse are beautiful in their simplicity. The chancel arch is decorated with chevron and chequerboard carving typical of its date. The furnishings are of the early 20th century. St Athernase is thought to be St Ethernesc, an associate of St Columba.
Sunday: 11.00 am and 9.30 am every week in the Burnside Hall, Balmullo except the first Sunday of the month.
Open daily in British Summer Time, in winter by arrangement
Contact St Athernase Parish Church.
The information about churches in Scotland’s Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. To contact this specific church please complete the Contact this Church form above. The information is not authoritative; please contact Scotland’s Churches Trust to let us know of any errors or omissions.