St Andrew's, Tongue
Address: Tongue, IV27 4XF
Local Authority: Highland
Rebuilt by Donald Mackay, Master of Reay, in 1680 following the Reay family’s conversion to Protestantism (c.1600). The site was that of the ancient Celtic and latterly Roman Catholic Church (St Peter’s Chapel). During a renovation in 1729 a vault was built covering the graves of earlier members of the MacKay family.
The information about churches in Scotland’s Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. To contact this specific church please complete the Contact this Church form above. The information is not authoritative; please contact Scotland’s Churches Trust to let us know of any errors or omissions.