The church building was designed in 1886 by London Architect A E Purdie (1843-1920), noted for his use of the Gothic style. It is built on the site of the old prison. The former prison governor’s house is now the presbyterium. Built of whinstone with red sandstone dressings and blue-grey Burlington slate roof, it is a church with nave and chancel, Lady Chapel and entrance porch. It sits in a quiet garden courtyard off the High Street. Following the Second Vatican Council, in 1971 the interior was re-ordered. Stained glass windows above the altar of the Annunciation and Our Lady in the chancel, and The Holy Spirit and an abstract in the baptistery and Lady Chapel. Ceramic of the Virgin and Child and a frieze with stations of the Cross by local artists. Concrete and iron cross by Liverpool sculptor Sean Rice (1931-1997). The church has a capacity of 250.
Sunday 9.30 am.
The information about churches in Scotland’s Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. To contact this specific church please complete the Contact this Church form above. The information is not authoritative; please contact Scotland’s Churches Trust to let us know of any errors or omissions.