The present building, the third on this site, was built in 1842 but the foundation and the first stone building (extant) are from the 9th century and dedicated to St Apollinarus (the only such dedication in the UK). It is a rectangular building, designed by John Smith, with a perpendicular Gothic façade with octagonal pinnacles and a spired bellcote. A renovation was carried out in 1965, removing the side galleries and installing a central aisle. An apse was created with a central table and pulpit and lectern on the north and south sides in sympathy with the Scoto-Catholic tradition. In 2010 a further refurbishment took place with new chancel furniture and a new 4-manual organ in the west choir gallery.
Sunday: 10.00 am Parish Worship; 11.00 am Holy Communion; 5.00 pm Latvian Christian Congregation
Mondays: 9.30 am Morning Prayer in the Celtic tradition
Wednesdays: 12 noon Prayers for Justice and Peace
Fridays: 5.00 pm Evening Prayer in the Celtic tradition
Open daily 8.30 am to 5.00 pm Chapel of St Apollinarus open for daily prayer and mediation.
Contact St Andrew's Parish Church.
The information about churches in Scotland’s Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. To contact this specific church please complete the Contact this Church form above. The information is not authoritative; please contact Scotland’s Churches Trust to let us know of any errors or omissions.