Southend Church was built in 1774 and is the third building on the site. The building was designed by mason James Stirling and is a simple harled kirk. The MacVicar Rooms and vestry were added in 1973. The church has an excellent Georgian timbered interior, re-orientated in 1881 when the U-plan gallery was inserted. Stained glass windows by Ballantine & Son, installed by a Victorian Duchess of Argyll to commemorate Queen Victoria. The window in the south gallery is by Gordon Webster. The parish also includes a ruined medieval chapel and graveyard overlooking the beach, within sight of the Irish coast, where St Columba reputedly first landed in Scotland. St Columba’s footprints, cave and well are nearby. An annual service is held on the Sunday nearest St Columba’s day (9th June).
Sunday 11.45 am.
Open during daylight hours
The information about churches in Scotland’s Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. To contact this specific church please complete the Contact this Church form above. The information is not authoritative; please contact Scotland’s Churches Trust to let us know of any errors or omissions.