Distinguished Glasgow architect John Honeyman designed the first Skelmorlie Church (now used as the hall) in 1856, and the present church in 1893 – reputedly one of his best works. One of his draughtsmen was Charles Rennie Mackintosh, who designed several items including the lamp at the entrance. The lavishly carved reredos is by John Crawford “our best Gothic wood-carver”, and stained glass windows by Honeyman, Stephen Adam, Douglas Strachan, Edward Coley Burne Jones and others. The organ, with 3 manuals and 30 stops, was built in 1901 by Binns of Leeds. The buildings are Grade ‘B’ listed.
Every Sunday at 11.30am
Minister: The Revd Archie Speirs
OLM: The Revd Liz Geddes
Skelmorlie & Wemyss Bay Church
Skelmorlie & Wemyss Bay Parish Church
Contact Skelmorlie & Weymss Bay Parish Church
The information about churches in Scotland’s Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. To contact this specific church please complete the Contact this Church form above. The information is not authoritative; please contact Scotland’s Churches Trust to let us know of any errors or omissions.