The present church replaces a Telford Parliamentary Church of 1824. The new church was opened on 9 July 1899. It seated 260 and cost £1,300. The building is mid-Gothic in style with a cruciform plan of chancel, nave and transepts. The external walls are of coursed, bullfaced Ardshiel granite with freestone facings.
In November 1992 the church was completely restored and converted into a building that could be used in many different ways. At this time the pulpit and communion table were re-sited at the opposite end of the church to create a more intimate space for worship. In 2009 a new church hall was dedicated. It was built behind the church and offers a new vestry, two meeting rooms, a kitchen and toilets.
The church bell hangs on a wooden framework in the churchyard away from the church. On the bell is an inscription ‘The Gift of Richard Alsager Esq of Upper Tooting, Surry to the Parish of Salen in return for Mull hospitality AD 1834’.
Sunday 10.15 am
Open daylight hours
Contact Salen & Ulva Parish Church.
The information about churches in Scotland’s Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. To contact this specific church please complete the Contact this Church form above. The information is not authoritative; please contact Scotland’s Churches Trust to let us know of any errors or omissions.