Romanian Orthodox Church, Kilninian, Mull
Address: Kilninian, PA74 6NH
Local Authority: Argyll & Bute
This is a simple nave church, built in 1755 to serve the parish of Kilninian. The building has harled stone walls, a slated roof and a stone bell-cote. The church was first mentioned in 1561, when it belonged to the Abbot of Iona, but the church history goes back to the 15th century. The church contains a 20ft communion table with benches – a rare example. The gallery for the choir is entered from a fore stair. The vestry contains very ancient burial stones including: 1. A 14th century slab bearing a plaited cross 2. An early 16th century slab, a foliated cross at the top, claymore in scabbard below, casket and pitcher 3. A 16th century effigy of a man in armour carrying a claymore 4. Late 16th century effigy of a smith with a conical helmet and other slabs with no identification.
Services monthly and by special notice if necessary
Open by arrangement
Contact Romanian Orthodox Church.
The information about churches in Scotland’s Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. To contact this specific church please complete the Contact this Church form above. The information is not authoritative; please contact Scotland’s Churches Trust to let us know of any errors or omissions.