Superb example of 20th century church architecture; church, hall, house, loggia and cloister, all designed together, provide a haven of peace in this Edinburgh suburb. The lofty, cruciform church with meticulous neo-Perpendicular detail was designed by Leslie Grahame Thomson and built between 1929 and 1933. The recessed west window provides drama to the entrance façade. Much Arts & Crafts detail: stained glass windows by James Ballantine, woodwork by Scott Morton, ironwork by Thomas Hadden, pipe organ Rushworth & Dreaper, and painting on reredos of ‘The Last Supper’ by William R Lawson. Cloister court to rear with carved panel of ‘Christ at the well of Samaria’ by Alexander Carrick. Peaceful garden.
Sundays 10.30am all year, and first Sunday of March, June, September & December 6.30pm for communion
Open by arrangement
Contact Reid Memorial Church.
The information about churches in Scotland’s Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. To contact this specific church please complete the Contact this Church form above. The information is not authoritative; please contact Scotland’s Churches Trust to let us know of any errors or omissions.