Dedicated to St Baldred, the church possesses in its former chancel the best fragment of 13th-century church architecture in East Lothian. The tower dates from 1631; the main building from 1770, enlarged 1824, redesigned internally 1892 by James Jerdan and refurbished 2004. Organ by Vincent of Sutherland overhauled in 2004. St Baldred window 1959 and two Second World War Memorial windows by William Wilson. Among the gravestones are those of Andrew Meikle, inventor of the threshing machine, and George Rennie, agriculturalist and brother of John Rennie, the civil engineer.
Open by arrangement
The information about churches in Scotland’s Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. To contact this specific church please complete the Contact this Church form above. The information is not authoritative; please contact Scotland’s Churches Trust to let us know of any errors or omissions.