The present building, dated 1832, is the third on the site. Rectangular in plan with a horseshoe gallery with the pulpit on the long south wall flanked by tall windows. The bell is dated 1642 and the Celtic crosses are of the 10th or 11th centuries. Memorial stone in the graveyard to Michael Bruce (1746-67), author of several of the scripture paraphrases used in Church of Scotland worship.
The separate parishes of Orwell and Portmoak became a single parish of Orwell & Portmoak in 2006.
Open by arrangement
The information about churches in Scotland’s Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. To contact this specific church please complete the Contact this Church form above. The information is not authoritative; please contact Scotland’s Churches Trust to let us know of any errors or omissions.